There comes a time when you need to stop and take a look at yourself. First of all, how well do you know yourself? Are you where you want to be? What is standing in the way of you getting where you want to be? Are there things you can change to get where you want to be? These are questions that need some serious reflection. Might I interest you in a few things you might wish to consider.
1.Find out what you like to do and do your very best at it. For me it is my writing which I have put off for so long. That is where my talent lies. There is no better feeling for me than putting my thoughts into words. It has suddenly come to me that the time is now and not tomorrow. Put away procrastination and tackle that thing that needs to get done.
2. Clear up the clutter, that is, drown out any voices and clamouring from the outside; especially those voices standing in the way of you achieving your goals. There are people who will do all they can to stop you from achieving your goals. These are distractions that you must resist.
3. Be at peace with yourself. Learn to love yourself, and to love your own company. My kids are older now so I find myself alone at home some evenings. Everyone is at work and boy do I savour those quiet moments to do what I want.I am alone but I am not lonely. That is a good place to be. Besides it is getting me ready for the empty nest when it comes. This is this practice for that reality when it happens. If you need to be in a crowd all the time to be happy and fulfilled then there is a problem. If that is you find out why, do some soul searching.
4. Set boundaries, do not allow everything into your space. There are some friendships that have to go. Let people call you whatever names they want. If those relationships are not going to build you up or help your growth as an individual – say no and without apology, no one needs the heart ache or the pain that comes with it! People do not choose to be unfriendly or “not open” – it may have something to do with their past experiences. Instead of judging them, perhaps we should take the time to hear their story. Maybe you can help them to move past those experiences and become more open to new relationships.
5. Do not let life beat you down, hang on to your faith for dear life. You cannot put all your trust in men. Tomorrow they die and all their plans with them – Psalm 146:3-4 Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish. Now that is a sobering thought.
6. Be positive, have a good attitude about life. Be an encourager.
7.Be joyful and cheerful. People are attracted to people who have a cheerful countenance. Not to say you should go around smiling like a cheshire cat but your facial muscles must always be ready to break out in a smile. Trust me it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. Besides frowning is not good for your health. Laughter is infectious and is also good for your soul.
8. Lastly, do not live your life running around trying to please people. It will not help you, aside of that, it is an exercise in futility. You should live your life trying to please God and not men. Do not waste your time worrying about what people think about you. They are not God. The one who truly knows you is your Maker. There is no point trying to explain who you are to another human being also created by God. How important are they in the scheme of things. It is all meaningless and a chasing after the wind.
I hope I have helped you in some way to take a look at yourself, and make any changes that are needed in your life. It is not an easy process, trust me, but with determination and one little step at a time you will get there eventually. Enjoy the journey and savour every minute of it. Stay blessed until next time.